Once initial certification is awarded, CFREs must recertify every three years to maintain the CFRE credential.
The recertification application requires candidates to document information in: Education, Professional Practice, and Professional Performance.
The application works on a point system. Candidates must document a minimum number of points in each of the three categories to be recertified. Your online application at My CFRE will automatically calculate points for you. If you maintain your credential by recertifying every three years, you do not have to take the CFRE exam again.
Each CFRE is responsible to be aware of his or her certification expiration date and to complete the application by the stipulated deadlines. Recertification deadlines are located on your certificate and in your online account.LOGIN TO MY CFRE *Please note, the application was designed to be supported in the following browsers: Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer 9 and above. Internet Explorer 8 and below are not supported.
See information on recertification application deadlines and fees. If you are a current member of a CFRE participating organization, you will receive a 20% discount on your recertification fee.
We realize special circumstances can prevent CFREs from meeting the recertification requirements as described. If you wish to apply for Inactive Status or satisfy your Education requirement by re-taking the CFRE exam, click on the menu to the left for more information
Minimum points required in each application category for recertification are:
EDUCATION: 45 points (must be within the past 3 years). Education includes continuing education on fundraising topics (including conference attendance), academic degrees, teaching on fundraising topics, authoring on fundraising topics, and service learning through volunteer experiences. Points are awarded as follows:
- Continuing education: 1 point for each hour spent attending educational conference sessions or workshops. 2 points for each hour spent teaching educational conference sessions or workshops using previously developed 3 points for each hour spent teaching educational conference sessions or workshops using newly developed material. Presentations made on behalf of your employer must be listed as Professional Performance.
- Authoring: 5 points per published article (500 words or more; self-published material is ineligible). 15 points per book chapter. 30 points per book.
- Academic degrees: 5 points for an associate’s degree. 10 points each for a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. For Recertification, only academic degrees awarded in the past 3 years count.
- Service Learning: 2 points per year for each ongoing leadership role. 1 point per year for each instance of general volunteer service. A maximum of 10 points will be counted.
A maximum of 5 points of nonfundraising-related continuing education may be counted, providing that the nonfundraising-related content develops skills that will help the individual become a more proficient fundraising professional. Sessions on general leadership skills, time management, etc., are examples of nonfundraising-related content that might be applicable.
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE: 30 points (must be within the past 3 years). 1 month of employment = 1 point. Only 1 point will be awarded for any given month regardless of the number of employers or clients.
Candidates for the CFRE credential must be or have been employed full-time as a professional member of a fundraising staff or as a fundraising consultant to nonprofit organizations; at least 50% of their job duties and responsibilities must consist of fundraising activities, resource development, and/or the management of fund development which results in generation of philanthropic support.
Candidates who are or have been employed half-time (defined by CFRE International as 50% FTE or greater) may also qualify, providing 100% of their job duties and responsibilities consist of fundraising activities, resource development, and/or the management of fund development which results in generation of philanthropic support.
Consultants must submit a client list for the time period claimed as a consultant.
PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE: 40 points (must be within the past 3 years)
Candidates can earn points in any of the following three areas, or a combination thereof. It is not necessary to document points in each of the categories.
- Actual funds raised: 1 point = Equivalent raised in local currency of USD 25,000. Fundraisers in non-OECD member countries will receive 1 additional point for each point of Actual Funds Raised.
- Communications projects: 5 points for each project with outcomes that had a measurable impact on the success of fundraising for the organization.
- Management projects: 5 points for each project with outcomes that had a measurable impact on the success of fundraising for the organization.
A project is a temporary endeavor with a unique result. Each project must have a definite beginning and end. The project’s end is defined by the achievement of the project’s objectives or when the project is terminated.
In contrast, an ongoing work effort or repetitive process that follows an organisation’s existing procedures would not be considered a project. Incomplete projects will not be accepted.