Why are application audits required?
One in every 10 CFRE applications for initial and recertification is randomly selected for audit to ensure the accuracy and validity of the data provided. This enables CFRE International to maintain the honor system for the other 90% of applications, while still meeting guidelines for independent accreditation, something no other professional certification for fundraising professionals offers.
Always keep copies of documentation which supports your application entries until notice of application approval has been granted by CFRE International, in the instance documentation is required.
Types of Documents
Requirements for documentation are flexible in the event that your application is randomly selected for audit.
Examples of acceptable documents include:
- certificates of completion for educational programming
- examples of completed communications pieces
- project/study finding reports to document management
- publicly available IRS form 990 data to support entries for funds raised on behalf of an organization
Professional practice entries will be verified with employers directly.
This audit requires applicants to furnish completed copies of their:
- Continuing Education documentation (including: date(s) of the continuing education activity; name of activity organizer (acronyms not acceptable); title of the session(s) attended; session topic(s); total number of contact hours; name/title of presenter/activity coordinator, and proof of attendance in the form of a certificate or receipt)
- Employment verification contact information (e.g., name and telephone number for supervisor or human resource department from all reported employment. Consultants should supply same for a variety of clients.)
- Proof of dollars raised, communications projects, or management projects through annual reports or other official documentation
Reported information which cannot be verified through required documentation or employer contacts will not be applicable toward necessary points on the candidate’s application.
Applications from candidates selected for verification
Applications from candidates selected for verification will not be reviewed. Once the application has been received, these candidates will be sent an email informing them that they have been selected and requesting that all required information be submitted within thirty (30) days from the date of request.
Initial certification applicants who submit incomplete or non-verifiable information may choose an alternate testing window when required information is verified. Once the application is approved, candidates will have one (1) year from the approval date to sit for and pass the exam.
Recertification applicants who submit incomplete or non-verifiable information shall automatically be deferred into their six (6) month grace period. All information submitted by candidates for recertification shall be verified within the six (6) month grace period allotted or the candidate’s certification shall expire and be removed.
Completing an application audit
Professional Practice will be verified through contacting employing organizations or consulting clients directly. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name, email, and telephone number for the supervisor(s) or human resource department(s) from all reported employment. Consultants should supply same for a variety of clients.
For Service Learning and Professional Performance, use the fillable PDFs below to document your audit verification information. Forms are available for Professional Performance and Service Learning only.
Forms must be submitted to CFRE by the verifying signatory party. Forms submitted by the audited candidate will not be considered as verifiable.